6.19.2014

Youth Program Development Intern

Hi everyone! My name is Natasha Mayestha and I’m the new Mazama Youth Program Development Intern for the summer. I’m a graduate student at Portland State University in the Public Administration program, with a specialization in nonprofit management. I recently completed all of the coursework and I’m ready to apply the skills and knowledge I learned to my work at the Mazamas.

I'm originally from Jakarta, Indonesia. I travelled to Portland two years ago to pursue my master’s degree. My primary focus is in primary education and youth development, and I previously worked for a nonprofit that focused on these two issues. Since watching The Inconvenient Truth, I have had a special interest in environmental issues as well. It inspired me to do volunteer work in the community to raise awareness about waste management during college.

In the past year, I have learned about the importance of outdoor experience and activities for youth through the work of MESD Outdoor School. Many research studies have shown that children who spend more time doing outdoor activities are healthier and stronger than those who don’t. Coming from a metropolitan city like Jakarta, I’m fascinated with the numbers of outdoor schools and programs for youth in Oregon. This shows a strong commitment from the public sector to educate children about the environment from a very young age. This is why I’m very excited to work with the Mazamas to help engage more kids with outdoor activities.

I also hope to be more active and to enjoy Oregon’s beautiful nature during my time here. I look forward to having the best summer experience with the Mazamas!

No comments:

Post a Comment